In response to the unprecedented number of snow days this year, instead of amending our school vacations or adding days to the end of the year, our Administration made the decision to add 5 minutes to each class period. The five minutes per period amounts to approximately 6.5 days of school.
When I first heard of the plan, I thought…
what can you do with 5 minutes?
The more I thought about it, the more I realized that 5 minutes is enough time to do some things I’ve always wanted to do in class, if ONLY I had 5 MORE MINUTES!
So here’s my list of things I can do with the additional time:
1) Work on @NCTM ‘s problem of the day
3) Evaluate a website posted to our class Diigo group for our upcoming “My Fake Wall” Mathematician project
4) Do a PSAT problem of the day
7) Explore some math glogs about the topic we are studying
8 ) Explore some real world applications of Algebra on Yummy Math.
9) Show an incorrectly solved problem and ask the students to find the error(s). I can use Common Algebra Mistakes or use the document camera to project a problem worked out already by a student (keeping the student anonymous).
10) Use it for some “tech talk”. I often want some time to talk about privacy settings or need a few minutes get feedback about a new feature on our website.
11) I can introduce Ten Marks. I have already set the class up with accounts but haven’t had a chance to show them around yet.
12) We can use Interactive Math to explore a concept we are studying.
Have any additional ideas? Please share!